11.7 Return of Unearned Military Tuition Assistance Funds Policies and Procedures
Policy Statement: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the Department of Defense (DOD) policy, CUNY School of Law will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.
Before dropping or withdrawing from a course, please contact Ms. Jenny Amperiadis at 718-340-4284 and Ms. Irma Chabla, Bursar at 718-340-4364 or visit room 4/109 to determine how it could impact your Military Tuition Assistance and potential repayment obligations.
In instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, CUNY School of Law will work with the affected service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion in compliance with the DOD policy.
Rational or Purpose: This policy serves to fully inform students receiving military tuition assistance (TA) of the required actions the law school must take to comply with the DOD Memorandum of Understanding Return Policy for Military Tuition Assistance (TA) funds rules and align with the return of unearned student aid rules applicable to the Federal Student Aid as required under section 484B of the Department of Education Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
Scope: This policy applies to all students receiving Military Tuition Assistance (TA) for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines
Definitions: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its member. Each service has its criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. This policy only applies to this type of educational benefit. The TA program is a benefit that is available only while the student is in the service. This policy does not apply to Veterans or Veterans benefits.
When might I owe the military?
The military requires a grade "B" or better for graduate courses. The military will recoup the cost of the tuition assistance if the grade is below the minimum. The military has exception policies for these circumstances.
Number of Days Completed (term)/Total Days of the Term= Percent of TA earned
The amount of TA earned is determined on a prorated basis. For example, if a student completed 20% of the course, they earned 20% of the TA funds awarded. The remainder of the unearned funds (80%) would be returned to the TA program. Calculated unearned TA funds will be returned by the law school to the Military Service and not to the Service Member. The calculation of the return of funds may result in the Service member owing a balance to the law school. This return of funds calculation aligns with the return of unearned student financial aid rules applicable to Federal Student Aid rules as required under HEA, Section 484B and 34CFR 668.22.
Service members who withdraw after the 60% point in the semester will have earned all Military TA funds.
Percentage of Unearned TA Returned to Military
Drop initiated through calendar day 9
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 10 to 18
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 19 to 34
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 35 to 72
Withdrawal on calendar day 73 or later
Drop initiated through calendar day 9
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 10 to 13
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 14 to 23
Withdrawal initiated on calendar day 24 to 42
Withdrawal on calendar day 43 or later
For courses that have durations differing from those listed above: Unearned TA funds will be returned on a prorated basis, depending on the length of the course. To determine the amount of TA that needs to be returned, the institution will determine the date the withdrawal was submitted, and then divide that by the number of days in the term to determine the percentage of TA that was earned by the student.