Skip to Main Content
Navigated to 1.10 Graduate Courses At Other CUNY Institutions.

1.10 Graduate Courses At Other CUNY Institutions

CUNY students matriculated in one institution of the University may take courses at other CUNY institutions, if the credits will be accepted towards degree requirements. In order to take a class on e-permit, the student must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average. If you would like to take a graduate course at another CUNY institution, you will need the approval of the Academic Dean and then you will need to file an ePermit request in your CUNYfirst Student Center. Click here for the CUNY permit approval form to submit to Academic Affairs.

Students who obtain an ePermit to study at another CUNY institution pay tuition and fees to their home school.

How to Apply for a CUNY ePermit:

  1. You apply for an ePermit through your CUNYfirst Student Service Center.

Step 1: Navigate to the Student Self Service Student Center

Step 2: Go to “Other Academic” and select the “ePermit” option on the drop down menu

Step 3: Select the term for which you want to apply for an ePermit, select the “Add ePermit” radio button, and then hit the “Continue” button” to proceed.

Step 4: You will be taken to the “Browse Course Catalog” page where you will choose a school from the drop down menu

and browse for the particular graduate course for which you are seeking to enroll.

Step 5: After you’ve selected the course, click on the “ePermit form” button to continue.

Step 6: Review the information, ensure that you’ve selected the correct term, enter any comments you might like to include, and then click the “submit” button. Your ePermit request has been initiated.

Once submitted, the status of your ePermit request can be checked by returning to your Student Center and choosing the ePermit option on the “Other Academic” drop-down menu.

If your ePermit is approved, the status in your Student Center will be “Approved.” An auto-generated email will be sent to

the Law School’s Registration Office and to each potential host school.

  1. Please note: Applying for a permit doesn’t register you. If the ePermit is approved by both your home institution and the host institution, you will need to obtain registration instructions from the host college.

Cancelling an ePermit: You must cancel the ePermit application online if the course you wish to take is closed or if you no longer want to enroll in the course prior to the start of the term.

Cancelling an ePermit Request or Course: It is the student’s responsibility to cancel the course registration at both the home and host schools as well as the ePermit request. The student must do this prior to the start of the term, in order to avoid a tuition liability.

The Law School’s academic calendar differs from the University-wide academic calendar, so be sure to obtain the host school’s academic calendar.

Copyright © 2020 The City University of New York School of Law | 2 Court Square, Long Island City, NY 11101-4356 | Phone: 718-340-4200
All Rights Reserved. Content may not be reproduced without permission.